Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Unit 1

After reading through the Personalized System of Instruction and the Audio-Tutorial approach, I noticed a few similarities. The biggest similarity that I recognized was the ultimate goal of both types of approaches was the specific mastery of goals. In both theories, students are expected to learn an objective, maybe complete a task or a discussion, and then students are tested on said objective. Students can only move forward after becoming proficient. Another similarity is that both methods allow for asynchronous classes. Students are able to individualize their education and work at their own pace. However, both do have some type of structure to keep students on some type of schedule. I think in both methods, students need to be self-motivated in order to get the work completed.

Some differences that I noted were that the Audio-Tutorial method seems geared towards catching students up that were missing pre-requsites, where as the PSI approach would be great for gifted classes and special education classes. When I first read about the audio-tutorial method all I could picture was elementary school students sitting around listening to a book on tape. Now that the technology has caught up, I actually think that this is a pretty great idea. I had been debating for many years now recording my lessons and putting them online for my students to review once they got home. One of my students has told me that they use youtube to help them if they get stuck on a homework question. This seems fundamentally the same as the audio-tutorial approach. Of course, it isn't nearly as structured, but the idea is the same.

I was pretty fascinated with the concept of the PSI. How great would it be if students could work at their own paces, and have a teacher or mentor their for guidance if necessary. As a teacher that currently has 34 6th graders in my math class, I would love for the gifted students to be able to move faster, and I would love for my lower level kids to be able to work at a slower pace. However, the county has us on a pacing guide, and we have to be teaching what the pacing guide tells us to teach.  Like I mentioned above, I thought that the audio-tutorial method seemed old-fashioned. I keep picturing dusty cassette players and tapes that have to be rewound each time. It makes sense since it was developed in the 1960's. However, if you replace audio tapes with mp3 files or voicethread, it becomes a very modern approach. The audio-tutorial method is set up like a traditional classroom. The teacher gives some background knowledge, the students do independent work, then the students come back together to have another discussion. The biggest difference I see is that a lot of the discovery is put on the students.

I think that some of the barriers that exist in both of these theories is cost and workload. The cost of creating individualized education plans for every student would be astronomical. I think it would be best suited to gear this towards the gifted and special education students. The other barrier is the workload. One teacher, school, even district could never have the time to create individualized learning plans for every student, even if were only geared towards the gifted/special education students. I think It would be great if there was a place for educators to collaborate so nobody would have to reinvent the wheel. I think another obstacle is getting around standardized tests. If the state requires students to learn concepts 1-100 in the 180 day school year, there isn't much room for individualization. However, if these barriers were overcome, then I feel that students would actually learn more. Too many times I feel when I have to start a new unit, many of my students aren't quite ready. They need a few more days to work on the old skill. Unfortunately, the pacing guides do not allow for this type of remediation.

I would love to integrate both theories into my classroom. We currently do some compacted units so that some of our gifted students can work on higher level skills. I think it would be great if we could come up with a PSI (guided design) for them. Additionally, maybe recording some of my lessons and putting them up on my class website would be a good way for students to go home and review the material since most parents aren't able to help with the math. I think that it woulnd't be too difficult to incorporate some voicthreads, screencasts, podcasts, or even straight youtube videos into a current class.

10 comments:

  1. Tracey, I also stated in my post that maybe I could integrate the PSI theory in my classroom. I would be great for gifted students because they could go at their own pace and ask questions if needed. Then you could spend more time for your slower students who need more attention. ~Anna B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tracey-
    I thought your post provided a lot of insight into how these models might be used.

    My concern, which perhaps you can speak to, would be how "Personalized" this instruction truly becomes. You pointed out the challenge the PSI model would present is how to make it indivdualized. I fear the reality might be a PSI that would be more of a "mouse maze" where students are all working on the same instruction and assessments, but at different paces. I also don't really see a lot of the social aspects of learning being addressed. Am I reading this the wrong way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that technology is finally catching up with the AT approach so we can move beyond passive listening. Have you ever checked out Voki,(www.voki.com/) or Audacity, (audacity.sourceforge.net/). Podbean is also a great pod casting tool: www.podbean.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracey ~

    You are in our group and we have a meeting tonight ... we have been emailing through the Ncsu email and haven't heard from you ... I hope that the messages are going through.

    I enjoyed reading your blog and I am also a math person. I completed agree with your comment on "I think that some of the barriers that exist in both of these theories is cost and workload." It is practically impossible for an educator or school to implement something like PSI without huge costs or workload. We have had to reach out to publishers to use their products, which are also expensive. At the college level, we can push that cost out to the student, but how could something like this ever be utilized in the public schools? I just don't see it happening.

    Hopefully ... see you tonight at the meeting on elluminate.
    ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracey,
    I also believe that we can modernize the AT approach through the new technologies such as podcasts, screencasts, vokis, etc. I plan on developing a few lessons for one of my gifted students so that he can move ahead more quickly and participate in enriching activities that other students in the 5th grade can't handle.
    Kelly H

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the PSI being a potentially great resource for your gifted students. Also, your idea about putting the information, lectures, etc. on your class website is a great idea. I know as a student I would have loved to have the opportunity to hear lectures again, especially if I had been absent. There is no substitute for good teaching, so putting recordings of lectures online would be a great resource for students. I also thought the same thing about the AT Method representing how we teach in a traditional classroom. I can see using audio and voicethreads as the lecture piece and then breaking into small group discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear that you are forced to adhere to a pacing guide. This has to be very frustrating for both you and your students. My only exposure to PSI has been teaching an online credit recovery class, so I have never thought about how it could be applied to gifted students. i really think your ideas are great. Allowing students to work at their own pace really works for lower achieving students, I imagine that the high-flyers would really latch onto it and go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We too do a recovery/enrichment called Odyssey. In our school we use it not only as a class recovery, but also as an additional practice/enrichment on key objectives throughout the respective classes. Math through Alg II/Geometry as well as the sciences are ideal for this form of learning. It didn't dawn on me until I read your post this is what we are doing. Thanks!

      Keith

      Delete
  8. Hi Tracey,

    Great points! I thought it was interesting you thought of A-T as more remedial-type instruction whereas PSI as more for advanced/gifted students. I'm wondering what aspects of these approaches seemed to align with that?

    I also understand your frustration with the pacing guide and how your hands are tied in terms of individualizing instruction because of it! That's too bad!

    I personally strongly believe in allowing students different opportunities to learn according to the styles that might be most appropriate for them, so I think recording your lessons and making them available to those who might need the extra review is great!

    Biljana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tracey,

    So true concerning authentic experiences. I once taught Tech Math (sub Alg I math) and the curriculum was chopped full of authentic experiences (because there was little distance to go outside of a very basic pre alg course). It took more time to set up the experiments and learning opportunities than it did to have the class. 3 hours plus on each “lab” for an hour and half class + clean up.

    But if we do, I agree that the kids will learn more than the standardized tests that we are held accountable to. “Learn and regurgitate” has served us so well in the past, but clearly, it doesn’t stack up to authentic experiences. And the new paradigm of the younger versus the older crowd concerning group work is a barrier we must overcome. I too enjoy the fruits of successes individually, but the team aspect…I play tennis, singles and some doubles. I do not play baseball. Maybe we all should.

    Concerning your 11/12 yr olds, cooperative learning (think pair share) is a great way of teaching team work skills as well as allowing the teaching to take place not from teacher students relationships, but from student student and the teacher is simply a facilitator. “Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” – Prov 22:6. We have the hope of instilling in these young ones a new way of learning, but so often we fail them and simply adhere to the status quo.

    Short, concise, lovely. I felt what really spoke to you during the readings of this unit. Thank you for sharing.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete