After reviewing the four models presented in the group-based collaborative instruction and multimedia the key similarity between them has to be the dependence on a group for learning. More specifically, guided design, problem-based learning, and situated learning & cognitive apprenticeship all seem to be based on authentic learning experiences. Another important element that I saw while reviewing these theories is the role of the teacher and student. In all theories, I saw that the teacher takes the roll of the facilitator. They may create the groups and problem or situation. It is the instructor’s job to provided feedback as well. In some of the models, the teacher would comment on discussion boards, and in others, the teacher would provide feedback at the end of a project. They may give an “expert” opinion on the situation or even ask for students to go back and to think about another solution. Another similarity that I found between the four models was the reliance on one another in the group setting. Having the teacher define rolls can certainly help the group work better together. However, without each group member pulling their weight, it may be difficult for groups to succeed. The one exception to this is cooperative learning competitive. This is where group members compete against one another. In this case, you rely more on yourself than on your group members.
Initially, I was surprised at how similar guided design, problem-based learning, and situated learning & cognitive apprenticeship were. The one theory that seems a little bit different was the cooperative learning theory. I actually think that these theories have some weight to them. My assistant principal sent out an article to the staff that asked if as teachers we were creating students that were “makers.” Are we giving our students the tools to go out and do something? I think in most cases, the answer is no. We are creating students that can pass a standardized test and show growth, but we aren’t creating students that will be our future “doers.” These learning theories I believe can help created the makers and the doers. Giving students authentic and real world situations can really give students a deeper understanding of what they are learning. It isn’t enough to be able to tell what 100 divided by 8 is. Shouldn’t we be teaching our students to use that information in a real world setting? I think we should. I try to do this in my class on a daily basis. When teaching about percent I try to relate this to shopping for clothes, video games, and electronics, because that is what I know is important to 6th graders. I think that one of the barriers to these learning theories is the time it takes to plan and supervise. I think that it is easier to plan a lecture than an authentic experience. Teachers would have to make groups, create the problem, make sure students had the correct prior knowledge, teach the students how to research, teach them how to work well in a group, and then supervise and provide feedback to each and every group in a timely and efficient fashion. This would be great in a class of 20, but what about in a class of 35 or even 100? I think one of the only ways to overcome this barrier would be to change the mindset of the higher ups in education. We need to stop the “learn and regurgitate” method of testing. Until that happens, I don’t think that we will see a change in teaching. Another barrier that I see is the negative feelings that older students have towards group work. Personally, I like being responsible for my own work and my own grade. Group work has always made me nervous. I always feel that I am doing more than my fair share of work. I think that the way to overcome this is to have teacher defined roles for students. For example, when I used to teach language arts, we would have students rotate roles such as leader, illustrator, summarizer, question master, etc. This made sure that each student wasn’t always doing all of the work.
Since I teach 11 and 12 year olds, I think that the theory that I would most likely use is the cooperative learning theory. As a math teacher, I have so many great ideas, but with the amount of material I have to cover in such a short amount of time, group work tends to be minimal in my class. Once I teach a new concept, I tend to let my students choose to work with a partner, group, or individually. I think these activities could easily be turned into a cooperative learning experience. I can think of one instance in which I’ve used cooperative learning in the past year. During our geometry unit, we have to teach the rules of all three transformations (reflections, rotations, and translations). Instead of me just creating a PowerPoint, I give my students coordinate graphs, shapes, and activities. The students take their shapes and go through my directions (reflect the shape over the x-axis; translate 3 spaces up and one space left). Once they are finished with my directions they are then to work as a group to come up with a general “rule of thumb,” for each transformation. I think in the future if I more clearly define roles, this could be easily turned into a cooperative learning activity.
Since the four learning theories discussed in this unit and blog are all group related, I think that all of the tools that should be used must be tools that facilitate group work. I think that a great place to start should be a Google Doc, Wiki, or Google Site. These are all great tools because they allow many different people to edit. A Google doc even allows a place for group members to chat and work on the same document at the same time. I think that this would be great for a discussion board and/or note taking. Students could do their individual job and then collaborate on a Google doc. Another tool that I would think would work well for these theories is Elluminate. This tool allows students to not only use a text chat feature, but also allows students to actually talk to one another. Elluminate has the ability for one group member to actually share their screens with other group members. This could also be a great tool for groups to collaborate. In order for the instructor to interact with students, they could join an Elluminate session or leave comments on a Google doc/site or wiki as well.
I liked that in your post you used the sentence authentic learning experiences. I agree with you and what a great way to describe the theories that involve real life problems. ~Anna B.
ReplyDeleteTracy,
ReplyDeleteIt was a pleasure to read your blog. I was really struck by the question your principal posed to your staff regarding the effort being made to create "maker" students. Sadly,it seems (like you stated) we are teaching students with a focus on passing a test. Much of my effort goes into creating activities that are unconventional; however, as I reflect on this there are few that are developing students who are 'makers.' This is something I am going to give more thought too.
I can empathize with the time constraints you feel. It can be challenging to find the time to create cooperative learning activities and at the same time even more challenging to find the time to have your student's engage in the activity. The articles clearly support how important learning collaboratively can have on students. With this push toward 21st century learning, it is going to be essential to develop problems for students to communicate. I find that some of my students struggle with their communication when trying to solve a problem. Often it ends with wining and bickering...I am an advocate for learning through problem solving; however, I still struggle with ideas to help my students effectively communicate their feelings and perspective.
I enjoyed reading your blog, you did an excellent job!
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteHi Tracy ~ I am trying this post again ... as I think I posted to the wrong spot the first try! :)
ReplyDeleteWhile I teach an older population, we still struggle with the same issues. We are so busy testing the students that we don't have much time for meaningful learning. It really is a shame! As a fellow math teacher, I also see a lot of potential for Cooperative Learning and group work. In the past, it seems like one student always takes the lead and does most of the work, even when I try to assign roles. Definitely a work in progress for me.
The geometry project idea sounds great!
Kelly
Tracey,
ReplyDeleteI think you are right about teaching to pass a standardized test – that type of measurement used for accountability it is something that is in desperate need of changing at State and Federal levels. The schools (unfortunately) are at the mercy of these test scores. This sort of attitude is generally the same in business where there are still old school type managers.
I also agree that it takes much longer to plan an authentic experience the first time around. Hopefully that investment would pay off in future years, but time is always in such short supply. Perhaps groups of teachers in the same subject could work together to create different lessons to share with each other.
Tracey,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your blog. Your statement "We are creating students that can pass a standardized test and show growth, but we aren’t creating students that will be our future “doers,” is very powerful. I agree completely with that statement. The sad truth is that many teachers do teach to the test because of the pressures that are placed on them.
These models of design focused on real-life problem solving will help force students to "think" and come up with real-life solutions.
Tracey,
ReplyDeleteLike some of your peers pointed out, I too enjoyed your sentence "I think that it is easier to plan a lecture than an authentic experience." And in outlining just some of the challenges a teacher faces when trying to implement cooperative learning, it's easy to see why there just isn't enough time for instructors to be able to plan effective authentic experiences! This is one area where I think communities of practice could be helpful, where teachers could share their experiences and activities with each other and draw on each other's work to improve everyone's outcomes. What do you think? Have you had any experiences in such communities of practice with fellow teachers?
Biljana
Tracey, I really liked how you placed a focus on asking ourselves as teachers if we "are giving our students the tools to go out and do something". I agree, we need to do more about creating learning experiences that mimic real life so that our students see the connection between life and school. All of the group learning theories we studied for Unit 2 will provide the authentic learning experience needed for students to make that connection and become the "doers". Time is always something we are short on and implementing one of the learning theories in our classrooms will require time planning the project, exposing students to the roles prior to the project prior to implementing, and creating different avenues of supervision. I have so many ideas after being exposed to new material from graduate school but I have difficulty finding the time to plan and implement so that it will be successful in my classroom. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
ReplyDeleteJennifer
Tracey,
ReplyDeleteYou scribe a wonderful snapshot of the different types of learning ideals. Ultimately, it is the goal of all educators to transition the students from doers to makers. Your principal definitely has the right mindset, but as you have put forth, it is the higher ups in education that must also change the culture of education and maybe not totally drop standardized testing, but they too to transition to more of a portfolio/applicable approach to learning.
Taking your thoughts of the scalability of the learning (going from 30-100 students in this regard of learning types), I feel there is a duality concerning the expectations of teaching. This is one of the few fields I know of that the mandates are rarely supported fully either in training (professional) or in budgetary considerations. Here are two sticks and a trashbag, go make an airplane.
Tracey, you also mention your use of cooperative learning and the 11-12 yr olds you teach. As I looked over the learning types, I too saw potentials for each of the learning methods concerning both age and course. Cooperative learning does well in the middle grades. I am very glad you have embraced it in some of your learning modules for benefit of the kids.
Lastly, I am in agreement with you concerning the communicability of these methods over to technology and other web tools. It almost seems a perfect fit.
Excellent writing and thoughts. Thank you.
Keith